Sunday, February 3, 2013

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger

What a powerful statement. There are things in life that happen and make you think "why me"? If there is ever a time you start to think this, STOP it. Having a positive outlook in life is one of the best things available to you, and the best part is that you give yourself the option to have a really, really great outlook. Reach out to someone if you need a hand.

I define myself as a supremely optimistic person. It takes quite a blow to put me in a bad mood... but Saturday, I was in a bad mood. After 6 days of suffering from an exacerbation from my MS, I was fed up and heading to Walgreens to pick up an Rx because both my legs, up to my hips, had gone numb. Not the kind of numb that you can't move them. The kind of numb you feel when an arm (in this case my legs) fall asleep. So, you take one look at me and notice nothing - I can walk, I can drive, however I'm "numb". This is the first "attack" I've experienced since being diagnosed in 2009, so I am slightly freaking out.

Friday night, my Neurologist phoned in a interesting mix of steroids (to treat the attack), antacid (to treat the heartburn caused by the steroids) and sleeping pills (to help me sleep since the steroids give me more energy than I care for). Well, I'm standing in line at Walgreens pharmacy pick up, get to the counter and tell them I need to pick up the Rx. And the woman behind the counter says "We have nothing on file for you". I was a little astounded, had them check to see if they may have phoned it into another location - nope. Nothing. My doc had forgotten to phone it in, after twice verifying with me what treatment they were going to put me on. With all of this going on I get back in my car and have a quiet little hissy fit.

I got in touch with the doctor on call and an hour later I was equipped with too many pills and the energy of a 6 year old who ate way too much sugar and just got a puppy. Keep your fingers crossed that the 'roids are supposed to make things worse before they get better... I've now got cinder blocks for feet and horrible balance.

So, what's making you stronger today?

No comments:

Post a Comment